All businesses require high-end security to secure both their data and systems. As cybercrimes are on the rise, there is a dire need to keep your systems protected from unwarranted threats.
For instance, in 2015, Apple admitted that almost all its laptops had a major security flaw, known as the ‘Thunderstrike bug‘ which was resolved later. It allowed hackers to silently install malicious software on your laptop which gave them the power to steal passwords or even decimate your hard drive.
To keep your data immune to cyber attacks, one can make use of a VPN. VPN not only helps in spoofing your location but also builds a solid firewall to prevent anybody from accessing your private data. With encryption, no one will be able to break into your server without your knowledge. Antivirus software also does a good job in securing your system but sometimes they tend to be over-restrictive, therefore limiting your options.
With that being said, it is not all about protecting your data but also ensuring high-end security encryption of your laptop systems. Laptops are the unassailable king of college campuses and offices around the world. These machines have become an integral part of our lives and we require it to store and process a lot of our confidential and personal data.
In a recent study by Intel Security, it was found that 12% of employees have lost a laptop or had one stolen, thus leaving them completely exposed. To compromise business data, a hacker does not even need your computer – just your login credentials, as many businesses have been known to have been hacked via this method.
Since everyone connects or shares files with their laptops, it is important that they are protected. The best way to make sure your system is safe is to find a laptop that has an efficient combination of security features. Some of these latest tech features include portable fingerprint scanners, IR face recognition, webcam kill switch, military-grade encryption, and more!
Why a laptop needs built-in security:
It is normal then that hackers would seek to gain control over these machines with unfaltering determination. And why not? As laptops store valuable private data of users and in some cases, even servers.
Security of these laptops is of prime importance and there is no single answer to the question: why a laptop needs built-in security?
It can be easily inferred that business and personal data stored on your machine could land you in trouble if it falls into wrong hands. Since everyone connects or shares files with their laptops, it is important that they are protected.
The best way to make sure your system is safe is to find a laptop that has an efficient combination of security features.
Now, let us take a look at some of these features and why they are more relevant than ever:
- Redundant Data Path:
The new breed of high-end laptops comes with a redundant data path that allows you to connect two hard drives and provide protection against the failure of one drive. As soon as one of the drives fails, the laptop switches over to the backup drive. This feature not only provides protection against data loss but also acts as security for your sensitive data.
- Virtualization support:
Virtualization support is another new technology that allows you to run more than one operating system on your machine simultaneously. It creates virtual machines within a single PC. All your data is safely contained within these virtual machines and inaccessible to the other system. So, even if your machine gets compromised, there is no risk of data loss or security breaches.
- Military Grade Encryption:
Military-grade encryption provides protection against unauthorized access. It uses advanced 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) which is the security standard recommended by National Security Agency (NSA). This encryption can be applied on drives or entire computers so that you get optimum security and protection.
- Hardware based encryption:
The greatest advantage of hardware-based encryption is that it does not slow down performance, unlike software encryption. The new generation laptops provide hardware-based encryption which gives you optimum speed and performance.
- Finger print scanner:
The new laptops come integrated with built-in fingerprint scanners to provide easy access to your data. All you need to do is swipe your finger over the scanner, place it on your webcam or simply type in a password to get high-end security features.
- IR face recognition:
Another great new security feature is IR face recognition which provides protection against unauthorized access. With this technology, users can set a password for their system and log in with the help of an IR camera that captures your facial features to detect any changes in your facial appearance i.e., they will be detected by the webcam if they try to break in. This feature also protects your webcam against unauthorized access.
- Web cam kill switch:
This new technology is designed to protect your webcams from threats like cyber stalkers, hackers, or any other third party that might try to use it without your permission. The best part about this tool is that you can activate the switch by simply moving your fingers over the webcam in a certain way, or by simply typing a specific password on the keyboard.
- Remote wipe:
This technology allows you to erase all the data on your machine remotely if it falls in the wrong hands or gets stolen. With this feature, you can delete all the data including personal information like bank details instantly from a remote location without any hassles. This is extremely useful in case of theft or loss of machines.
- I-Sight camera:
This technology is integrated with high-end new generation laptops which enables users to take snapshots of any activity on the screen instantly. This feature is extremely useful for security purposes because you can use it to capture images of intruders or record evidence against them in case they try to break in.
With this guide, you will find five of the most secure laptops to consider for personal or business use.
HP Spectre X360:
- With its ultra-slim and sleek design, the new HP’s Spectre 360 comes with a FHD touchscreen.
- Powered by Intel I7 processor, it uses turbo boost technology which provides maximum performance during peak periods and guarantees fast networking speed.
- The built-in speakers and microphone boast Quad Bang & Olufsen speakers to provide optimal audio quality.
- Features fingerprint reader that securely stores your biometric data to eliminate the need for a password. It allows users to quickly log in to their Windows account without having to type their password.
- Webcam kill-switch to disable webcam when not in use.
- Secure bios for protection against malware and mic mute key so you can shut up your laptop when you need to.
Apple MacBook Pro 13.3:
- Apple’s MacBook pro 13.3 inch is rugged and packed with high-performance that includes an 8‑core CPU with 2.8GHz speed.
- 8 GB of RAM, and 8-core GPU gives you an extra boost for computing performance while entailing high end graphics usage.
- Exceptional battery life.
- Wi-Fi 6 for faster and secure wireless connectivity.
- The notebook has no moving parts making it immune to hard drive issues that plague conventional hard drives.
- The MacBook Pro has Touch ID, which means you can get into your system with your fingerprint.
- It also comes with Secure Enclave, which means that the fingerprint data is encrypted and not accessible by any other program on your computer.
- Also, the MacBook pro comes with a M1 chip, which is an independent chip that keeps your system and data encrypted while enabling secures booting
Lenovo ThinkPad E15 (2021):
- Lenovo ThinkPad E15 is a light weight, thin notebook with an Intel Core I5 processor with speeds up to 4.2Ghz.
- It passes the 12 grade military certification, ideally built to withstand knocks, spills and rough usage.
- Built In fingerprint reader for secure and quick logins.
- This device is outfitted with the trusted platform module 2.0 (TPM) chip to provide you with top level security for your sensitive data and passwords.
- Webcam kill switch for privacy protection.
- Supports fast charge up to 80 % within an hour of charge. (Based on Mobile Mark Ratings).
- Free from overheating.
- Lenovo Vantage support can further assist you with securing your laptop.
ASUS ZenBook 13:
- A 11th-generation Intel I5 processor with a maximum turbo speed of 4.2 GHz powers the Asus Zenbook 13. Thanks to this high-performance processor, you can easily multi-task on your device without experiencing any lags
- User authentication is done via embedded IR face recognition technology that quickly helps you unlock your device.
- The laptop is also durable enough to withstand accidental bumps and scratches owing to its military durability testing, which means you can work on it without worrying about smudged screens or broken hinges.
- The laptop has a unibody design, which makes it easy to carry from one location to another.
Acer Enduro N3:
- The Acer endure N3 is a semi-rugged, featherweight laptop, powered by an Intel Core i5 processor running at speeds of up to 4.2 GHz.
- It is equipped with Acer Bio-Protection fingerprint solution, featuring Windows Hello Certification Authentication.
- Full HD widescreen coated with Gorilla Glass, ensures protection against dust and drops.
- With Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 chipset, you can take advantage of good wireless networking performance and keep your connectivity safe.
- Has an exceptional battery life.
- An aquafan is also part of the internal cooling system and is designed to repel and expel liquids, to help prevent damage caused by water, humidity, and other particles
To conclude full system encryption is a must for those who are using laptops extensively for storing their valuable information. So before you buy a new laptop, make sure it comes with the latest security features that prevent unauthorized access to your valuable data.